Many FHOs have been receiving letters from the Ontario Ministry of Health about service obligations relating to negative outside use results as well as other poor performance metrics like insufficient patients seen per week. In the past, these warning letters did not typically lead to any enforcement follow-up. We feel that this time it’s different.
More than just another warning.
We have been speaking with several MoH staff and they are standing firm on their position that continued high outside use is a breach of the FHO agreement and will also be measuring FHO performance against current FHO averages and top performers in other areas including:
- Patients seen per week per physician
- Group collaboration
(percent of visits to an enrolling group but not an enrolling physician)
- After hours requirements met on 1 and 5 patient blocks
MoH staff have confirmed they will be taking a more aggressive approach including dissolving FHO’s if results don’t improve.
Quick tips to reduce your outside use in the short term.
The MoH has listed a number of recommendations you can implement to quickly resolve poor outside use performance in the short term:
- Educate patients about outside use
- Review outside use reports for frequent offenders
- Ensure your group offers after-hours care and patients know about them
- Allow time in your schedule to book urgent appointments
- De-roster patients strategically
- Stagger physician hours to maximize hours available to patients
Long term strategies to minimize risk in your FHO.
DoctorCare takes time-consuming administrative tasks off your plate and helps consistently minimize outside use, and streamline and create efficiencies in MoH billing, leaving you to do what you do best – giving your patients the best care possible.
DoctorCare has worked with almost half of the approximately 200 FHO groups across Ontario. In fact, we saved one practice over $20,000 by helping them reduce outside use and streamline billing practices. We can help you resolve your individual or group’s risk and set you up with a plan for success.
For a limited time, DoctorCare is offering a complimentary, customized outside use analysis that will:
- Provide a list of your high offenders over a six month period.
- Recommend patient communications tactics that are easy and fast to implement.
- Recommend best practices to address patient access issues within your group and for each doctor.
Don’t let time-consuming administrative take you away from doing what you do best – giving your patients the best care possible. We can help consistently minimize outside use, and streamline and create efficiencies in MoH billing.
Ready to get started? Click here to contact us to book your complimentary, customized outside use analysis today.